Monday, March 9, 2009

A "Doggone" Adventure

Our beloved dog Sandy (golden retriever/lab/collie mix) decided she wanted to go on a run by herself on Friday. She is usually very good about not sneaking out an open door. But I knew something was up when I saw Josh running down our street yelling to get the leash! Sandy high-tailed (pun intended) it around the corner and down to the Riparian. Now this is a 100 acre water preserve park with lots of trails and wildlife, including burrowing owls and lots of rabbits....Sandy loves to chase them and...oh how can I put this gently??...grab them with her jaws and teeth...eeewww....She really is a kind and gentle dog and has NEVER bitten or even tried to bite anyone...but those darn rabbits just bug her. Okay...so back to the story....Josh called me on his cell phone and said she had gone in the entrance of the preserve...when he finally found her she would watch him out of the corner of her eye and when he got within about 50 feet she would take off running again....So, Jon and Katelyn jumped in the truck with the leash and a treat and headed to the preserve to help. Of course I was frantically pacing the floor like any worried mother when a child is missing. They finally retrieved her, put her in the truck and drove home. Too bad dogs can't show more expression or talk because I think I saw a little smug look on her face and she was probably thinking "ha ha...those silly humans... I showed them....if they don't want to walk me every day I'll just go by myself!"

No comments:

Post a Comment