Monday, March 23, 2009

The Countdown is on...

The countdown is on as we are just hours from Josh being set apart as an official missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I've already had butterflies in my stomach for a few days now. It's because I've done this 2 times before, and I know how hard it is to say good-bye, and it doesn't get any easier! He is my last missionary (unless Katelyn decides to go--although most girls don't). I watched him last night as he said good-bye to his huge group of friends. Many of these young men and women look to Josh as their leader, an example of always doing the right thing, but also having fun along the way. And I'm pretty sure that is how his mission mantra will be... work hard...play hard (just on p-days of course).

It is with a mixture of sadness and joy that I let him go. Sadness because I will miss him sooooo much... and joy because he will grow and learn more than I could ever teach him here at home. And so I wonder...did I love and nuture him enough? Did I sometimes hold him too tight because I wanted to shield him from the outside world? Now with great faith I have to cut those apron strings and launch him out the door...to new adventures... to the Georgia Macon Mission where the people will hopefully embrace and love him and want to listen to his message of the gospel.

No comments:

Post a Comment