Monday, April 20, 2009

A Perfect Cookie

I wanted to be the perfect cook (like my mom) when I got married. But, unlike my mom who spent hours a day in the kitchen, I wanted to make everything fast and easy! It took me years to finally make the perfect pot roast that tasted like mom's. You know-- the juicy and tender meat that melts-in-your-mouth kind of pot roast. I learned it had to first be seared and then cooked very slowly for many hours in liquid. The longer it cooked, the better it was! I learned that some perfect things take time...and patience... something I don't always have a lot of.

I've baked lots of chocolate chip cookies through the years... trying dozens of recipes in my quest for the perfect one! I know... everybody's got their favorite way to make them... their family's top secret cookie recipes... But finally... after "tweaking" several recipes... I have one that bakes up nice and chewy and holds together while dipping it in milk... and it's become our family's favorite!

So... Life (and my cooking) may not always be perfect, but at least a cookie can be!

Chocolate Chip Cookies
3 sticks unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
1 1/2 cups white sugar
3 extra large eggs
2 tsp real vanilla
1 TB water
4 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
2 cups quick cooking oats
1 12 oz package Ghiradelli semi-sweet chocolate chips

Beat together butter, sugars, eggs, vanilla, and water until creamy. Sift together flour, soda, and salt and add to mixture. Stir in oatmeal and then chocolate chips. Place rounded tablespoonfuls of cookie dough on ungreased cookie sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350 degree for 8-10 minutes or until just lightly starting to brown but still slightly doughy. Makes 5-6 dozen.

2 comments:

  1. I'm always on the hunt for a perfect cookie, especially chocolate chip. Thanks so much! I love your new ducks, so does Sam. I love when my kids read over my shoulder while I'm on the computer:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so jealous of all the tomatoes on your plants.

    ReplyDelete