Monday, April 27, 2009

No nuts at our house!

My kids were deprived... deprived of one of childhood's most-beloved foods! Oh, the horror! (My son at BYU-H informed me of this last night on the phone.)

I never made one for their lunch box. I have never bought even one jar of the creamy stuff. I've skipped that aisle in the grocery store for the last 25+ years.

My kids watched other kids bite into the gooey brown stuff and smack their lips with delight... while they quietly ate their ham and cheese sandwiches wondering what they were missing out on!

Yes, I'm talking about PEANUT BUTTER! eeww..I can hardly even type the word without getting hives and my mouth starting to itch!!

It is lethal to me... one little bite and I'm into antiphylatic shock. Grab the epi-pen, find the benadryl, call 9-1-1... I even have to call ahead when I fly to make sure they aren't serving peanuts on my flight. And boy, that's embarrassing when they announce it's a peanut-free flight and you hear the grumbling from the other passengers. And as I'm slithering down in my seat, I'm thinking, "Gosh people, get a grip! It's only a little salty nut! Have some pretzels instead!"

Our house has always been a peanut-butter-free zone (and all nuts for that matter). The only way they ever got to eat pb&j sandwiches was to sneak it at a friend's house. Josh said he used to raid his friend's pantry for a jar of the brown stuff. And it's the standard dinner entre for most missionaries (when they don't have a dinner appt) but for my boys it's like eating sushi or some wierd foreign food. And my hubby knows not to eat it if he ever wants a kiss!

So, yes, Matt says that since he's 3000+ miles away from home he can finally enjoy the delectable stuff whenever he wants! And since he doesn't like to cook, I'm guessing he's probably having it for dinner every night!

1 comment:

  1. Airplane peanuts are gross anyway. I always just stuff in my purse or say, "No, Thank you." You're doing all the passengers a favor.

    I get my pictures from google images or just take them myself.

    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete