Tuesday, October 27, 2009

LDS Keepsake Ornaments






So, next in the "I'm sooo busy I forget to breathe" category is...

It's a long story so I'll try to make it short as possible...

Every Christmas I always buy a new ornament for each of my kids. I try to find ones that go along with what they are doing in their lives. Like, for example, Matt is at BYU Hawaii and he bought a surfboard and learned to surf. So I found a cute surfboard ornament for him. I have done this each year since they were born and put them on the "kid" tree in the family room. Someday when they get married I will give them all their own ornaments and hopefully they will continue the tradition with their kids. Of course, this will never happen if they DON'T HURRY UP AND GET MARRIED!!! Okay... I'm getting sidetracked... So since I've had sons out serving missions for the last 5 Christmases I wanted to find a missionary ornament! And do you think I could find one searching all the millions of Mormon websites out there??? Not one decent one out there! So as I'm at the mall looking at ornaments, there is one that has a boy in shorts on a bike...hmmm... I think to myself... with a change of clothes to a white shirt and tie and dark pants and a black name tag, he would look like a missionary! So for several months I sketched several missionary designs and searched for an ornament company that would be willing to work with me to produce these custom polyresin (clay-looking) ornaments. I contracted with a company in Massachusetts and the process began. I worked with the owner of the company and her son... I started with 5 missionary designs and after further inspiration decided to add several Temple marriage designs... couldn't find any of those kind of ornaments either which is amazing considering there is almost 14 million of us Mormons out there! Now the other little obstacle I had to overcome was the fact that the people helping me make the designs and molds had barely ever even heard of a Mormon! So I directed them to our church website and helped them become a little more familiar with what a temple is and what a missionary does and looks like.

So after months of collaborating and working on the marketing, the ornaments are being mass produced in a factory in China and should be arriving in the next couple of weeks! I hope! Deseret Book is going to sell them in their stores and online!! (That's another whole story in itself.) A local store in Mesa will carry them. And if I ever get around to getting a website done, they'll be available there, too. I was hoping they would arrive in time for my boutique, but alas, no...

They are being featured in LDS Living Magazine (November edition) in the Gift Guide Section. Facebook friends have already seen the previews... but I think they are much cuter and better looking in person. They will come in boxes and will be personalizable (is that a word??). So buy them for your missionaries that are out or have even come home! Or for future farewell gifts. The temple marriage ones are nice for wedding gifts or gift toppers... and one of the hearts is a picture frame... Valentine gifts, too!

I have about a dozen more designs in various stages of production that will be out next year including "Babies are a Blessing" and family ones. So cherish the milestones in life with an LDS Keepsake Ornament!!

27 comments:

  1. Love your ornaments. We are an independent LDS bookstore in Southern California and are interested in carrying your ornaments. Please contact us at thebookport@gmail.com to discuss.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother bought one of the "For time and all eternity" ornaments for a cousin and they are absolutely darling! Nice quality, for those of you who are afraid to buy online...it will be a beautiful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I think you are on to something, Jolyn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    We collect ornaments very similiar every year, and like you, couldn't find any temple ornaments or anything for a sealing commemorations. Just ordered mine from deseret book. Can't wait! MOnica www.handprintlady.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jolyn,
    I just ran across your blog and I've been looking for an ornament for my granddaughter who will be getting baptized in November. Do you have any ornaments that would be appropriate for this (such as a little girl in a white dress, a girl and a dove, etc?) I've been looking online and I'm surprised I can't find anything. I give all of my grandchildren an ornament every year - just as you do for your children. I live in Mesa and you can contact me at karen@LRAphx.com if you can help me. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A few years ago I bought each of my returned missionary sons one of your ornaments. They are great! Since then, my daughter has returned from her mission and I have been unable to find one for her. Am I not looking in the right places? Thanks!
    imjlundstrom@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A sister missionary one is finally out for this holiday season! Deseret Bookstores and online will sell them or I can mail one to you!

      Delete
  7. Hi There- I'm in Idaho and looking for some darling ornaments that you make but our Deseret Book doesn't have them. Do you sell them just from your house?
    my boy is on a mission and I'd like to get him the one on the bike.
    Thanks!
    Lisa
    208-317-6334

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the delayed response.(had 2 weddings, surgery, and a move and I neglected my blog) Deseret Book sells them in most stores and online during the holidays... or I can mail one to you from my home any time. $10 + $5.35 postage
      Thanks,
      Jolyn Weathers
      801-216-4462

      Delete
  8. I would like to buy some missionary ornaments. Do you still sell them? I live in california. My email is aleidaglez@gmail.com
    Thank You
    Aleida

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the delayed response.(had 2 weddings, surgery, and a move and I neglected my blog) Deseret Book sells them in most stores and online during the holidays... or I can mail one to you from my home any time. $10 + $5.35 postage
      Thanks,
      Jolyn Weathers
      801-216-4462

      Delete
  9. I saw the missionary ornament last year. I now have a missionary serving and I can't find your ornaments. Please let me know where I can get them.
    Thank You
    Marie
    mcshansen@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the delayed response.(had 2 weddings, surgery, and a move and I neglected my blog) Deseret Book sells them in most stores and online during the holidays... or I can mail one to you from my home any time. $10 + $5.35 postage
      Thanks,
      Jolyn Weathers
      801-216-4462

      Delete
  10. I love your ornaments! Where can I find them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the delayed response.(had 2 weddings, surgery, and a move and I neglected my blog) Deseret Book sells them in most stores and online during the holidays... or I can mail one to you from my home any time. $10 + $5.35 postage
      Thanks,
      Jolyn Weathers
      801-216-4462

      Delete
  11. Hi Jolyn - I'm trying to find a missionary ornament for my son (he's in Chile, but I'll just keep it for him until he gets home - maybe I'll send him a picture in the meantime). Do you have one of an Elder NOT riding a bicycle? I'm happy to send you a check including postage to buy one from you. thank you! Connie Jory (Seattle, Washington)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Connie! I am working on an elder that is not on a bike since I've received a lot of requests for that. Should be available by November at all Deseret Book stores and online. If you would like me to send one direct to you email me at jolyn@cox.net. I may have them from the manufacturer by early fall here at my home in Highland, Ut.
      Thanks!! Jolyn W.

      Delete
  12. I am also interested in an Elder not riding a bicycle. My son is serving in the Massachusettes Boston Mission and driving or walking. I found a website with mission ornaments, but they look like part of the name of the mission is cut off on the ornament. Who wants that?! Let me know if you have a web site so I can help other missionary mothers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Venetia! I am working on an elder that is not on a bike since I've received a lot of requests for that. Should be available by November at all Deseret Book stores and online. If you would like me to send one direct to you email me at jolyn@cox.net. I may have them from the manufacturer by early fall here at my home in Highland, Ut. And hopefully soon I'll have a website up and running.
      Thanks!! Jolyn W.

      Delete
  13. Jolyn-
    Do you have a website up and running yet? I do the same type of thing you do with giving an ornament every year and I have been having a hard time finding something for my 12 year old. The only thing he is into is football, but we already got him a football ornament a few years ago for when he started playing tackle football. At any rate, I was thinking something to represent him receiving the priesthood this year. But I have searched all over to find a Book of Mormon ornament or something and have not been able to find a single thing! Let me know if you have any ideas or anything similar that you sell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have thought about doing something for YM/YW age kids. Right now I just have mission and marriage ornaments. Next year will also have baptism and baby blessing ones. But I will keep your idea in mind as I hope to eventually have ornaments for all the LDS milestones in life!

      Delete
  14. Jolyn,
    Do you have a sister missionary ornament? I would love one for my daughter.
    Kathy McDonald
    mcdkath@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am interested in a baptism ornament. Can you e-mail me at sarahmsargent@gmail.com?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am also interested in a boy baptism ornament. Would you have one I could purchase? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A friend of mine just gave me a sister missionary ornament for my daughter - so cute!! I'd like to get one for my son and can't find one online. Where can I buy one? Please email me at gaylechristensen@live.com. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've been looking for a little girl baptism ornament too. Do you have one out yet? I'd love one I could put her picture in but again, I can't find anything! Thanks for making these!

    ReplyDelete