Tuesday, July 14, 2009

A years supply of egg custard...

It's a hot, hot day and I'm thinking about making some egg custard... sprinkled with a little nutmeg... the cold smooth cream slithers down your throat. Yumm...

It's always been one of my kids' favorite desserts. They loved it from the time they began to eat solid foods. Jello brand sold it in little boxes like their puddings and it was quick and easy to make. And then one day there was not one box of it at the grocery store! Week after week it was on my grocery list and the store was always out of it. I checked other stores. They all had an empty spot where it once was stocked. I asked the store managers. They didn't know what happened to it. I had my mom check the grocery stores in Utah (they always have everything) and nothing! I checked out Jello's website. They didn't even show it as a product anymore. We could probably get along without green jello, but not custard! I emailed them and got no response. I was getting frantic! I searched for it on all kinds of hard-to-find food websites. I mean HometownFavorites.com even has Danish Dessert (the best strawberry glaze) on their website and I've tried for years to get Arizona stores to carry it!

Months (it felt like years) went by...

In the meantime, I made some from scratch but my kids didn't like it as well. I guess their tastebuds got used to the powdered egg taste!

And then last week I fretted to my husband about it and he said to just google it! So I did. And guess where it showed up??? On Amazon.com! I knew you could buy books, CDs, DVDs, electronics and all kinds of stuff on there! But I NEVER knew you could buy food on Amazon! (Thank you Jeff Bezo!) So I ordered 24 boxes (that's the minimum) on Saturday and on Monday morning it was on my doorstep! Now I've got my years supply of it!

And guess what's for dessert tonight??

2 comments:

  1. Good for you Jolyn. I have bought food too but I hate having to pay shipping. None of my food ever qualifies for free shipping. Glad to see a few things about your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazon is the best. I want to come over and try some:)

    ReplyDelete