Monday, June 8, 2009

A College Degree?

Matt is in the home stretch... one more semester until he graduates with his BS in Computer Science. He would have been finished by now but the disadvantage of a small college (BYU-H) is they don't offer a lot of senior level classes during the spring and summer terms. And the advantage? More time for sun and surf. Rough life, I say. His house is walking distance to some of the most beautiful beaches in the world! But, to his credit, a Computer Science Degree is no cake walk! Physics and more physics and lots of tough classes. A couple of months ago when he told me he wanted to change his major I stopped breathing for a moment. "Oh, no! You're soooo close to being done," I gasped! Yeah, I admit early on I hoped he'd be a doctor (or lawyer--he likes to argue a lot!). But, as parents, you have to let them explore and figure it out themselves. I mean when he was 18 he wanted to be a rock star! So, I'm thinking, Computer Science is good! Really good! And a VERY MARKETABLE degree to have even in this economy! And with his affinity for computers he will do just fine.

Now, Jon is home from his mission and trying to figure out his path of college travel. I'm just trying to bite my tongue. And Josh has 2 years to just concentrate on serving the Lord and not think about college.

When I was in college my parents insisted that I take classes that would give me marketable skills, too. I preferred more artsy stuff like interior design, creative writing, and flat pattern design (sewing). And, as a hopefully soon-to-be wife and mother, sprinkle in a little CDFR (Child Development/Family Relations) as it was called back then. So after 2 years of the "fun stuff" I switched over and dutifully took the shorthand (Now THAT's a real marketable skill nowadays! HA!) and business and accounting classes. And I sort of lost my focus and interest in college.

But, alas, I got my MRS Degree and not my BA or BS degree. And I've regretted it ever since. (Not the MRS part!) Yeah, sorry to admit, but my young adult social circle was more concerned about finding a husband than getting a college education. (Oh, the stories my roommates could tell you!) I'm so glad that this generation of young women seem to be more focused on getting their education while looking for a man. Good for them!

The years filled up with childbirth and children, church callings and service, keeping house and just keeping up, and not fun to mention, but several major surgeries and illnesses along the way. And I kept wondering when will it be MY time to go back and finish what I started at BYU over 25+ years ago? The guilt pricks me a little when I see those BYU TV commercials showing middle-aged women like me who've gone back and got their General Studies Degree through their online program. And I think to myself, "General Studies... too "generic" for me!" But it's better than no degree! So with the house a little quieter and emptier I probably could squeeze in some time for classes... That is after I help Katelyn with her schoolwork and stuff, fulfill my church calling and service, do the cooking and cleaning, laundry and ironing, and errands, and keep up the house...

I think I'm just too darn tired now.

2 comments:

  1. You're not too tired! You can do it. Just take one little class, just one. I missed you last night, or I didn't get a chance to see you. Were you there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, a general studies degree is better than no degree. I think when you went to BYU, most women went for their MRS and not their BA. I think you can do it.

    ReplyDelete